May get you the job
but soft skills can make you
or break you as a manager.”
“Leaders aren’t born, they are made. And they are made just like anything else, through hard work. And that’s the Price we’ll have to pay to achieve that goal, or any goal.”
BASIC PERSONALITY TRAITS REQUIRED
|Caringness||Clarity in Mind|
To-be-Used Leadership Jargons
- The Most Important are:
- “I admit I made a mistake.”
- “You did a good job.”
- “What is your opinion.”
- “If you please”
- “Thank you.”
- The Least Important is:
Types of Leaders
- Authoritarian(high task, low relationship)
- Team Leader(high task, high relationship)
- Country Club(low task, high relationship)
- Impoverished(low task, low relationship)
Theories on Leadership
Bass’ (1989 & 1990) theory of leadership explains the
Three basic ways people become Leaders:
- The Trait Theory: some personality traits may lead people naturally into leadership roles
- The Great Event Theory: a crisis or important event may cause a person to rise to the occasion, which brings out extraordinary leadership qualities in an ordinary person
- The Transformational Leadership: people can choose to become leaders or can learn leadership skill
Principles of Leadership
- Analyze Issues
- Leverage Innovation
- Employ Financial Acumen
- Build and Establish Relationships
- Manage Conflict
- Facilitate and Inspire
- Promote Collaboration and Teamwork
- Coach/Train and Develop others
- Manage Change
- Develop both your leadership and your management skills.
- Establish a culture of accomplishment.
- Demonstrate leadership with an “I’ll go first” style.
- Prepare for opposition. Use the ABCD Approach: Anticipate objections, “Benefitize,” Categorize, then develop the plan.
- Praise-but be sure that it’s sincere, deserved, and unique.
- Develop your influence skills. Don’t depend on your authority to get things done.
- Assure yourself that manipulation is not always a bad thing.